Monday, June 15, 2009

She's a big girl now


This post is about a month late, but hey that is usually how my life goes right now so here we go. When the girls and I got back from St. George we decided that it was time to get rid of the paci for Shelby (finally! we tried when we first moved her, but we all know that would just have been evil since I was in the hospital for so long), put her in a twin size bed instead of a toddler bed (since she was to long for it), and the dreaded Potty training. Well let me just start off by saying that she is a CHAMP, because all of these things went so smooth that even I was surprised at how well she did.
With the paci's I had gotten an idea from a $1.00 kids book to "mail" the paci's to babies that need them. So that is what we did! We put all of her paci's in a huge manela envelope and wrote a letter to the babies saying that she hoped they would like them and that she was big now so she didn't need them anymore. In return the babies would send her a jump house when they knew that she was a big girl and could sleep in her big bed without paci's. This worked like a charm since she has ALWAYS wanted a jump house and we had to wait for it to be shipped anyway. It was pretty hilarious because if she was crying in bed we would just tell her that the babies wouldn't send the jump house until they knew she could sleep good. This would always shut her up no matter how worked up she was. Needless to say she is happy to have a jump house and could care less that she doesn't have any paci's anymore.





Her big girl bed was no problem at all, she loves to climb up in it and she loves having sheets with covers that she calls "her tent". Almost every night when we check on her she is completly under the covers because she likes her tent so much.


As for the potty training this was soooo much easier than I thought it was going to be. My sister Jamie sent me a method called 3 day potty training and it totally worked for Shelby. She had about 20 accidents on the first day and only 1 on the second day and none on the third. She still wets the bed about 1 time a week, but it usually is my fault because we ate dinner too late so she drank too much before bed. She loves to pick out which panties she is going to wear for the day and it is so cute to see her little bum in a swimsuit without a huge soggy diaper. I don't really have any pics of her with her panties so you will just have to know that she is potty trained and now has no more diapers. It is crazy to me how fast she is growing up, but I just love being her mom and seeing all of her changes and how proud of herself that she is. GOOD JOB SHELBY! We sure love our Big Girl!

11 comments:

The Knudsen Family said...

Congrats on all the big milestones. It is so nice to have them potty trained, isn't it? I couldn't believe how the 3 day method worked. Our first two days were pretty bad but then the 3rd day it was just like magice they got it. Thanks again for sending me that info. It was such a huge help as I had no idea where to start. Shelby's big girl bed is so cute. We are still working on that one. That jump house looks so fun. My boys would be so jealous.

Abby said...

She sure is getting big. I love he bedding. It sure looks like she loves her jump house. Could you send me the 3 day potty method? AJ is having all of the signs and I am so ready to have one less kid in diapers. We sure do miss you guys.

Christa said...

oh wow- she is such a big girl!! Ashlyn has been showing many signs of being ready to start potty training- so we bought a potty (she calls it her to-to) and she is cute- she has pooped twice and pee'd once... over the past week- so we figure thats a good start! lol :P
congrats to your baby... I mean your "big girl"

Kate said...

Brooklyn says good job Shelby!

Molly said...

Cute bedding!! Good job Shelby! I've enjoyed our many phone conversations when you told me you did it on the big potty!

Anonymous said...

Hey Annie, its Breann. It is so funny how paralleled our lives are with these two little girls. We were probably potty training during the same week! It makes me sad that we haven't been able to get all these gals together. Let me know if you are ever planning a trip to St. George. I am always looking for excuses to run up there.

Molly said...

Look who's slacking in blogging now.....

Molly said...

Your comment on my blog made me hopeful that you blogged...but no such luck! :) And YAY! Keep talking to Jon about coming here...we'd have so much fun! We're going deep sea fishing this weekend...wish you were here!

Kate said...

Uh, Annie... It is now August. I need more photos to stalk.

John Egbert said...

Yay Shelby! I'm so glad to hear that the potty training went well. It worked like a charm on Kaden too. Best method out, I think!

Molly said...

Dearest Annie,

You know your blogging is bad when your sister Molly posts like 5 to your one. As much as I love to see my sweet Shelby's face everytime I pull up your blog, I'm beginning to feel abandoned and out of the picture loop in your life. I mean, I know it was my choice to move thousands of miles away from you, but COULD YOU HELP A SISTA OUT!!!??? More blogging is required in this relationship. I'm putting forth a great effort here...

Love,
Molly
P.S. I still love you.