Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Gingerbread Disasters

I have to put a disclaimer on this post that this was the first time that any of us had made gingerbread houses (except Amber). With that said this was a disaster!!!!! I had called Jon's mom and gotten all the details and receipes for the frosting and all that. She told me to make rice krispy treats to use as the "frame" of the house. YEAH RIGHT!!! Dispite the fact that our houses looked like a huge pile of dung we had a good time. We had some of friends Brent and Amber over to have dinner and then do our houses. We had tons of fun, and there was certainly a lot of laughter, mostly at how awful our houses looked. Next year I am totally buying one of those pre-packaged gingerbread house kits. NO more fancy pants Annie, lets just face it, I am not a master when it comes to the kitchen!
Shelby loved eating the graham crackers and all the candy that she picked out at the store.Carter, Amber, Shelby, and me trying to get our creation to work...not happening!

Such concentration! (Carter & Amber)
Jon tried to pitch in and help, this is Shelby laughing hysterically because our house is caving it at that very moment.Brent & Ambers finished house... Yep you guessed it they just gave up with the graham crackers.

At least the Candy was Yummy (Brent & Carter)


This is my finished house. We even bought the cutest candy ever that looked like little rocks so we could make it look like our real house. There is some resemblance right???


Going, Going

Gone!!!!

4 comments:

Erica said...

Your gingerbread house does look a little like a pile of crap! But you know what, I'm sure that Shelby loved it! If it gives you any consolation, our gingerbread house was even bought from the store and it turned out terrible. It kept falling down and looks terrible. Cody and I would freak when the kids were touching it before the icing hardened. Then we looked at each other and said, who are we making this for? Us or the kids. Okay, so we stopped being anal and now it looks like a leaning hut with candy on it. What can you do?

The Knudsen Family said...

That is about what mine house would look like if I ever attempted to make one. But it is good that you had fun doing it with your family and friends. Merry Christmas!

Liz Prisbrey said...

LOL!!! I hate to break it to you but the prepackaged houses aren't any easier to put together. Your house cracks me up though. It reminds of, um, all of mine. :-) We haven't even attempted Gingerbread houses this year.

The Webber's said...

I had to laugh when I saw your house! We just made ours that day and it was quite frustrating. As soon as we put the icing on, Logan would "clean" it and lick it all off and Rylee downed the candy really fast. It was a prepackaged house and I had aspirations of making an exact replica of the house on the box, but that DID NOT happen! I forget how hard these projects are for 2 little ones! I think next year we will set the kids loose on their own and me and Darren can build our own! Gotta love the projects for "the kids" that we really want to do ourselves!