Friday, January 30, 2009

Library Basket



For the last couple of weeks we have been going to the library every Monday when Jon has his day off. The first time that we went we read books for close to 2 hours and then decided that it was time to go. Well Shelby didn't agree and she threw a FULL on FIT! For those of you who know Shelby you know two things: that she is generally very agreeable and just goes along with whatever Mom and Dad say (so nice) and that she is OBSESSED with books. Well she was so naughty that the books that we had just checked out we returned them without taking them home and we told her that the way she was acting was TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. We were going to go get a special Library basket so that she could keep her own books seperate from her library ones, but because of her actions we scratched that idea.

Anyway the next week we tried it again and we sufficiatly preped her on what we expected her to act like when it came time to leave. Well 2 hours later we said "okay Shelby pick out 15 books you want to check out and then it is time to leave." She happily picked them out, checked them out, and marched out of there with a great big smile. (that was more like our little girl). We got in the truck and she asked if we could go to Wal-Mart and get a special box for her books, so we did.


Every week it has been enjoyable now and Shelby loves to read her books to Libby when we get them home. She always drags her basket to where Libby is laying and then proceeds to read her all her "Libry books" to her. Here is a picture of her reading them to Libby while Jon and I are getting breakfast and bottles ready. We are so glad that our book tantrum has gone away and we have our precious book worm back.

4 comments:

Erica said...

I am the worlds worst mommy. I gave up on the library for 2 reasons.
1-I go by myself and my kids are usually monsters and I we almost get kicked out everytime we go because they are running or screaming or whatever boys do.
2-I can never find those freaking books when it's time to return them. I always try to keep them separate from their own books, but it never works. So, I once again get passed up for the mother of the year award. One day Annie, I will be a good patient mother like you. But until then I will just survive and let my boys play with trains and beat each other up.

John Egbert said...

I'm with Erica. I think it's a boy thing. My kids are absolute MONSTERS at the library. And they are so spoiled that they think they get to keep the books. Also, I hate having to turn off my cell phone. What if something better comes up while we're there?? 4 kids and 1 mommy just can't quite do the library thing.

Molly said...

What a cutie! I love your pictures too!

ami said...

hey way to nip bad behavior in the bud. :) maybe we'll run into you at the library sometime. have a great week.